Monday, December 21, 2009

Four Hundred Million Dollars? Really?

I got to see AVATAR this weekend and I thought it was well done. I didn't think it was the greatest thing since the talkie but I thought it was worthy of Oscar mention. What I'd like to know is how a studio can "green light" a film at an expense of $400 million dollars? TITANIC, Cameron's first two hundred million dollar feature stayed on top for about twenty weeks and became the industry's standard as well a top box office hit of all time (I would still like to see the numbers compared to GONE WITH THE WIND if we included box office prices in 1939-1940). AVATAR was a formula movie, with brilliant special effects. Once the audience gets over being mesmerized over the transitions into the fantasy world isn't the story something we've seen before? I mean it had little bits and pieces of several cinematic classics all rolled up into one. Fine performances, excellent effects and a director's vision second to none but four hundred million dollars? Do you have any idea what the film has to gross even receiving a 60-65% cut? It's absurd. However, it should walk away with at least eight Oscar nominations and I guarantee at least four Academy Awards (Editing, Sound Effects Editing, Sound, Visual Effects). I'm not sure Screenplay, Cinematography, Costume or a supporting actress award are guaranteed.

Check out the film this holiday season before SHERLOCK HOLMES knocks it out of the #1 spot!

....and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment