Friday, June 5, 2009

Sharing the Wealth

My wife (Ginger) just returned from a talent convention in Chicago. She's an accomplished camera woman and editor and along with her best friend Amy (who's also an accomplished camera woman and editor) provided video for this convention. My wife was depressed as she was just able to break even over the run of the event. But what does 'break even' mean?

I explained to Ginger, she was able to purchase and rent equipment (cameras, video monitors, sound equipment, etc.), she rented a car, she put gas in the car, she stayed in a hotel and ate in restaurants. She also provided a commission to the talent show and paid salaries to Amy and herself. "You have to look at the greater plan," I said. Her gig, as small as the profit margin may have been, provided a boost to the economy. A cash flow was created and several businesses benefited. I believe this is how small businesses and especially production companies need to look at the overall picture in order to stay around. Kind of "a circle of life" in our own right. One business helps the others.

When a production company has a budget, no matter how big or small, they are in a position to help the economy. If your money goes 'on the screen' or into the project (an not in your pocket) you are still making an impact on our business. Budget carefully because what helps your bottom line also helps others.

I applaud my wife for a job well done. Breaking even is nothing to frown at, especially if you helped others to break even. I'm proud of you.

....and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment