Saturday, May 2, 2009

Damn Yankees! (Part Deux)

Just following up on my latest rant about the Yankees and their ticket prices. The Steinbrenners have actually notified season ticket holders "....there will be sizeable refunds given back." Apparently, they are lowering the prices of some seats and refunds are due fans that have already paid. Perhaps now they'll start selling out. Of course, it always helps to start winning too!

At dinner last night, my wife mentioned that Baskin-Robbins was having a thirty-one cent scoop night. Thirty-one cents for a scoop of ice cream...how could I resist? A pistachio/almond butter pecan, and rocky road scoop later, I was noticing that the place was packed tighter than a large sugar cone. People were everywhere. I thought to myself, 'I guess they made us an offer we couldn't refuse'. I've got to think Baskin-Robbins didn't lose money on the deal and it had to remind people there's an ice cream store in the neighborhood.

Now, what can I do besides support all the stores that put their goodies on sale. Pricing IS everything. Americans want a bargain. They're tired of paying the rising costs and would like to pay less somewhere. Recently, I have been researching the pricing of film festivals. These 'All Access' passes are pretty expensive. Some go for as high as twelve hundred dollars for two weeks of movie going pleasure. Most were in the range of six to seven hundred for a week to ten days. I thought, "how can the average movie goer afford that?" They probably can't. Sooooooo, as Executive Director of CenFlo (www.CentralFloridaFilmFestival.com) I've come up with the "$99 Stimulus Ticket". Three days of screenings, seminars, poolside chats, a vendor lounge, and of course parties, food, and even some free beer. Everyone likes free beer, right?

Ninty-nine dollars will let the general public rub elbows with more than fifty filmmakers and other assorted industry professionals. I also came up with a movies only screening pass for $65. Good from 10am to 11pm for all Documentaries, shorts, features, mini features, and even some "Gay & Lesbian" special programming. Think of it, "The film festival movie watchers can afford! What a slogan! What an idea! Thanks Baskin-Robbins, I think I understand!

.....And cut!

1 comment:

  1. Being turbo-broke not only inspires us to live more creatively, but also offers us a chance to re-evaluate our obsession with money as well as our innate abilities to innovate.
    I see you are being what you aspire to see in the world, and i find that highly inspiring...

    I'm certain CenFlo will be packed with very appreciative movie watchers!

    ReplyDelete