Monday, April 19, 2010

Comment on Previous Post

The person who wrote the IMDB posting yesterday seems pretty upset at my response. Like I said before, I don't want to get into a debate. Both of us have our opinions. I believe "after further review," you should come up with your own. There are exceptions to every rule. Research and gut feelings are important.

I was accused of not posting his response. In my defense the Blogging Company hasn't notified me as of this morning. I saw his response posted on IMDB and have copied all but some self serving advertisements.

COPY

"I posted a response on Bob Cook's blog and just in case he doesn't post it, I will post it here for everyone to read and it is as follows: I'm the one that is being referenced in this blog, I posted the post on IMDB entitled Stop Working for Free. And I stand by that, all of you that say you want the credit on the resume well that in my opinion is just foolish. I don't care who you are, if you provide sweat equity then you need to be paid for your work period, and I do have to agree with Bob Cook on one point, Scam artist are Scam artist, I don't think that the word artist should be in the confines of the same sentence as scam or con, as ripping people off shouldn't be considered an art form. Bob made mention of SAG's contract well I for one do not care about SAG's contract allowing actors to work for free on a project under 40 minutes and under $50,000.00, point being I will never ask anyone to work for free period. My philosophy is if I can't raise the funds to pay everyone I need on my production, I had rather shelf the project until I can raise the funds to pay everyone period, everyone has to keep a roof over their head and everyone has to eat, and provide for themselves and family period."

My philosophy is if I can't raise the funds to pay everyone I need on my production, I had rather shelf the project until I can raise the funds to pay everyone period, everyone has to keep a roof over their head and everyone has to eat, and provide for themselves and family period. On my productions I will even pay the non-union extras $100.00 per day for a base of 8. When I say that there is no such thing as a no budget film that means somebody is getting paid, producer, director etc somebody is getting paid trust me, I guarantee it. The only one's not getting paid are those cast and crew members that agree to work for free, and that is something that no one should ever agree to period, if you want to provide your services for a cut rate that is fine but get paid something I'll say it again stop working for free.

MY RETORT

Again, I'm not disagreeing, I'm just stating if you do have an offer to work for free or feel the need --- make sure you think about it and/or research it first. If you can get a good paying gig without experience --- by all means, go for it. There's about ten years between MR. IMDB and myself and times are a changin' every year. We're both obviously passionate about the industry and both have our own practices and opinions. We're both published authors and producers. Experts? Probably not. But experienced players and teachers, agreed, we're both saying the same thing just a generation apart.

......and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment