Saturday, March 27, 2010

Comments - (2)

I've had a statement and a few questions asked about my most recent "You got to read this..." blog. The statement was "Why do you want to even be bothered...." which is obvious, I don't. The second asked, "during my conversation could my tone be considered or perceived as rude?" Which was a good question.

I never had a conversation with these filmmakers. The correspondence was via email. I received the critiques and scoring from my selection and judging committee and I organized it into a more tender critique. My hope was because these filmmakers were locals they would still attend the festival. I was actually rooting for them to get in until I saw the scores. I was honestly disappointed. Florida Film means local appeal and ticket sales. After the rejection letter and critique I was sent a follow up email from the producer (who I believe is either married or in a relationship with the director) trashing the rejection letter and the opinions of our committee. I responded with the "Film is art and art is subjective," but she wasn't buying in. I stopped after a couple of emails when she started to trash films that I have made and had distributed. In our final email she (Kathy) stated, "she rented one of my films and who am I to talk about good or bad?" My answer could have been perceived as rude but I thought it was defensive when I said, "The point is you had to rent it to watch it!" Until this week I hadn't heard a peep for over a year.

What I am not understanding is why? Why do they care what we think about their film? Apparently they got the film into the Ft. Lauderdale Film Festival. Lauderdale has been around twenty-five years and program for two full weeks. CENFLO is held over a weekend. That should mean Ft. Lauderdale needs four times the amount of programing. Perhaps the bar is lowered? I don't know. Usually, Ft. Lauderdale looks for Florida Premiers or World Premiers. How they program is their business and not mine. I believe I've let this wannabe get under my skin but why stop sending filmmakers critiques when most of the time we receive responses like;

Hello Bob
I wanted to thank you for your kind words of encouragement as well as the explanation as to why "LL" (title omitted) wasn't chosen. It's so vital that I know where I've gone wrong so that I don't end up repeating the same mistakes. I hope when I submit my next short the results will be different. I hope the festival is successful and that we get the chance to meet
face to face in the future. Thanks again for your time.
Regards-
NN (name omitted)

or

Bob-
Thank you so much for taking the time and sending me an email of the critiques. I've found it more helpful as a learning experience to find out what people or judges don't like rather then what they do like. I will apply the comments to the next film I am currently working on.
Thank you again for all your time in writing the email and viewing the film.
-Ian

As I've said before we've gotten a handful of "you just don't get our film," (which is fine) and several thank yous. But are THE NOVELIST film makers out of line? Have they taken this too personal? I understand when festivals get questions as to whether or not they actually watched a film. Especially when there is no explanation of rejection (I've thought it myself). But when you receive proof of "watch" that should be self explanatory. Am I taking this personal attack too personal?

....and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment