Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Academy Awards Rant & Predictions

March 7th is the date the film industry is marking down in it's calendar. The night of the Academy Awards, where Oscar parties will be everywhere with fun, games and of course predictions.

I read some time back that the Academy was going to select ten Best Picture nominees but I didn't think they'd really follow through with it. Ten should be the rating of a hot female attending a festival party, or the amount of commandments we're to follow (unless you're a producer), not the amount of films nominated for Best Picture in 2009. I thought there were mistakes and slights made when they only selected five films. How in the hell can INVICTUS be left out of the top ten? I could understand being slighted at being 6th in a five film field. But UP? Please, just shoot me now!!!

I understand the Academy not wanting to waste time selecting films to finish behind AVATAR in this category but pick four not nine. My selections for Best Picture would have been AVATAR, THE HURT LOCKER, INGLORIOUS BASTARDS, A SERIOUS MAN and UP IN THE AIR. My selection for March 7th is AVATAR, which proved it wasn't just a film but an event.

Rather than go down each category let me list the categories where AVATAR will walk away with the Oscar. They will include, BEST PICTURE, BEST DIRECTOR (Thank goodness Kathryn Bigelow won the DGA award but no shot to beat her ex for the Oscar. I should pick her on looks alone!), EDITING, ORIGINAL SCORE, SOUND MIXING, SOUND EDITING, and VISUAL EFFECTS (why only three nominees?). That's seven Oscars in the bank for AVATAR. My pick for Best Actor is Jeff Bridges, Best Actress is Sandra Bullock, Best Supporting Actor is Christopher Waltz, Best Supporting Actress is Mo'Nique. These selections are the Oscar locks!

Let's move onto the guessing game -

Best Original Screenplay - My Selection = Inglorious Bastards. The reasoning is simple the Academy always liked Tarantino's scripts if not his films. The reason I'm probably wrong, The Hurt Locker and A Serious Man could slip in they both are excellent scripts.

Best Screenplay adaptation - My Selection = District 9. The reasoning is I saw both District 9 and Up in the Air and felt the script for District 9 was better. The reason I'm probably wrong, I didn't see the other three contenders to date.

Best Cinematography - My Selection = Avatar. The reasoning is shooting a film like Avatar had to be a challenge. The reason I'm probably wrong, I'm not sure what constitutes good cinematography. I always thought it was the breathtaking visuals but I'm sure there's more to it. Francis Grumman is my DP and I'm happy when the shot is in focus (sorry, Fran but my readers like to laugh).

Best Art Direction - My Selection = Avatar. The reasoning is ride the band wagon while the film is hot! Nine could take this category but my money is on the Cameron team. Why I'm probably wrong, someone else has to win an award on March 7th, right?

Best Costume Design - My Selection = Nine. I picked the one with the prettiest women. Why I'm probably wrong - The Weinstein's distributed this film which means no one had a chance to see it!

Best Song - My Selection = Down in New Orleans. Reasoning? They will lose the Superbowl and the Academy will feel sorry for them and give them best song. Why I'm probably wrong - Randy Newman is 1 for 20! Need I say more?

Best Documentary
Best Documentary Short Subjects
Best Animated Short
Best Live Action Short

Who cares?

Plus my Mother reads this blog and we have a competition going and I can't give out all my selections.

.....and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment