Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Festival for Sale?

I actually got accused last night by a filmmaker for NOT sending payment. When I said it was paid on September 9, 2009, (Three days after completion of the festival) there was an argument. The filmmaker went on to say other filmmakers he had spoken to, said we couldn't pay our bills and haven't received checks. I know exactly who he spoke to and the quoted person wasn't due a check. Only winners received checks. I also knew who he spoke to from the confidential information that was quoted back to us (by this time my wife Ginger took the phone).

Let it be understood that I paid most of my festival bills in advance and only the hotel, catering, and prize money were outstanding. They have ALL been paid (in full). The Central Florida Film Festival has no outstanding debts and an excess in the bank account to cover the corporate fees, accounting and start up for next year.

It's obvious to me that the check (#1043)was either misplaced by the filmmaker or lost in the mail. I had a return address on the envelope but we never received it. Upon review of the check book, the check in question is still outstanding. All other winning film checks have been received and cashed. I believe the check in question is either on his desk or in the dead letter office (if there's still such a thing). A replacement check will be sent out today and a "stop payment" (costing the festival $35) will be done on the check in question. The ironic part is that I advanced this person $60 (cash), out of my pocket because they didn't have cab fare to get to the airport (they asked and told me the reason). I even wrote a note, included with the final payment citing the advance of sixty dollars and why the check wasn't for the exact amount (in case they forgot).

This is why I am asking my attorney after the holiday, how to either sell or dissolve my organization. Our film festival is a "not for profit, charitable, organization created to advance Independent film in the Central Florida area." We've given it four years and this is the thanks we get. We're a turn key operation, we can qualify for the Academy of Arts & Science assistance program in our sixth year, and we have a following and excellent track record with our vendors. Any interested buyers out there? I'm serious! I will do more for Independent film by returning behind the camera.

In the meantime have a healthy and Happy Thanksgiving.

.....And Cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment