Monday, July 27, 2009

Just find the money!!!!

I'm pretty much over the whining about everyone being broke, budgets being cut, programs being slashed and how corporate America is taking a hit.

Our film festival (http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/), if anything, is feeling the "trickle down effect." We wouldn't have any problems if everyone else didn't overextend and cry about it. Seriously, if I had to look at the value of my house or stock portfolio every day I'm sure I'd have a heart attack. But I don't have to look every day. I hopefully can ride out the storm and keep the festival and my other production business moving in an upward motion instead of the fashionable downward spiral.

I've been told by the Coca Cola Company that money is too tight to provide our festival with what amounts to $178.00 worth of soda. That's retail!!!! I can take a coupon out of the newspaper and go to the store and buy it off the counter for $178.00. And we're not just taking the soda and running away to drink it. We were promoting Coke as 'the official soft drink of the Central Florida Film Festival' and gave them ads in the program, sponsor loop promos, banners, announcements....a two thousand dollar advertising package! Needless to say, Pepsi had no problem becoming our new sponsor and you can bet I will make sure they receive as much exposure as humanly possible.

The same thing happened with Final Draft. They had been sponsoring our screenwriting seminar for the past three years. Product, that's all they gave us and all we ever asked for. We, in turn, passed it on to our winning short and feature film makers and the third copy we gave to a needy writer via a drawing. Photos, announcements, ads, all promoting Final Draft is what they received in return. They now have their own publication and apparently (they say 'no') if you don't advertise in their publication they won't support your festival. Movie Magic - "here we come!"

Even the Orlando and Florida film commissions are hurting. I guess they've cut programs down to just salaries with limited incentives or assistance to film festivals. Our festival has been cut out and our primary function is to promote film making in the state. One would think the Governor would want to help the rebel sect that's trying to create jobs by bringing film production to the area. I'm in the process of working out an agreement that will hopefully bring an Australian Production company to Florida. I hope to make an announcement at my festival and my fingers are crossed.....

.....As I'm writing this I was just asked if we could add three additional speakers for our festival's pool party on opening night at a cost of $380.00. "Do we need it?" I asked. "It would definitely help," was the reply. "Then go ahead and order them," I said..."I'll find the money." Now there's an expression that's died out over the years. "I'll find the money," sounds refreshing, doesn't it?. Imagine going to your producer with a problem and him saying "Don't worry about it, I'll find the money." Those were the days. I'll find the money.....perhaps someone could use it as a campaign slogan. Harry Truman's "The buck stops here" and "a chicken in every pot," went a long way in my parents day.

Support a local business in your community. They are still the backbone of your community. Sure it's the large corporately owned store that anchors the mall but it's the independent businesses that pay the bills to keep that mall afloat. It's the same practice in film producing. Find the independent workers and make a better deal. The overhead is less and they'd rather rent equipment for what you have in your budget than have it sitting on the shelf this weekend. I've fed my entire crew for five dollars a head at a privately owned restaurant but bring in a studio Honey Wagon and caterer and the price is more than double. When you're an Independent Filmmaker think Independent business deals. Printers, restaurants, equipment, even port-a-potties, find the money and make the deal!

....and cut!

No comments:

Post a Comment